To the guest reader

Friday 12 August 2011

B: The Human Variable

There is a complaint that is commonly lodged against science.  It's been expressed in many different ways, but the general idea is usually, "Science can't tell us the meaning of life."  I completely agree, but I don't see this as a failure of science, but rather an expectation beyond its scope.  It's like blaming a cardiologist for his failure to mend your metaphorically broken heart.  That's just not what he does.

As physicists pursue their dream of a grand unified theory, as evolutionary biologists try to trace the spontaneous generation of the DNA molecule, as neurologists attempt to map the brain and psychologists attempt to map the mind, as medical science tries to increase the longevity of the human body, none of this brings us any closer to the answer of "why?"  Science can tell us where we are, it can, to some degree, tell us what we are, and it's working as we speak on the answer of how we came to be that way, and how we came to be here at all.  Yet despite all that, it can not tell us why we are here and exactly what we're supposed to do about it.  But I think the real question we need to consider is: why does anyone expect it to?

Although not exclusively, it is quite often religion which lodges this complaint, so perhaps it would be best to start there.  Religion is a field which is very much concerned with the meaning of human life.  It generally provides a narrative in which the human being has a role to play, a destiny to fulfill in the grand scheme of creation.  It usually promises us a destination, a life beyond this one where our struggles are validated, or a series of lives which progress towards some purpose greater than ourselves.  It often proposes a creator, whose love and concern for us is enough to justify our existence.

Religion lodges its complaint with science not because science doesn't offer any of these things, but precisely because science makes no attempt to offer these things.  Implicit in science's refusal to commit itself on the issue of the meaning of existence is the idea that the issue is irrelevant to the object of its study.  When a scientist attempts to carbon-date some fossilized remains, they aren't expecting the results to give meaning to their place in the universe.  They're simply expecting to find out how old the fossil is.

This attitude is mystifying to the religious mind-set.  They tend to see everything in terms of its significance to the human being.  The heliocentric theory was once considered a heresy by the Catholic church, because it dethroned the Earth as the centerpiece of creation, and contradicted the established narrative.  From a scientific standpoint it was just a conclusion coldly drawn from the data, whether it promoted or demoted our place in the universe was none of its concern.

In modern times we run into this same conflict over evolution.  The theory is the object of rabid hysteria among some fundamentalist groups.  They object to its contradiction of Genesis.  They object that it blurs the line between us and the animals.  They object to idea of distant simian ancestors.  They object to the denial that man was directly formed by the loving hands of the creator for a divine purpose.  But beyond all this, they are outraged by science's absolute indifference to these objections.  It isn't just that science is undermining their most cherished beliefs, but also because science is doing so without an apparent agenda of its own.

It's frustratingly disarming.  It's hard to vent your rage at a computer that is simply crunching numbers and returning a result that declares you are in error.  Some try to saddle science with a secret agenda.  Evolution is a "Satanic" plot they say, or a conspiracy to deny God.  Others concede the lack of agenda and make that the focus of their complaint.  "Science", they say, "can't tell you the meaning of life."

They seem to imply by this that the meaning of life is to be found somewhere in the data that science is handling, but science is just too blind, too cold to see it.  They seem to imply that science is viewing the universe on a flat two-dimensional plane that lacks a crucial emotional dimension.  They seem to lament that if only science would filter their findings through the human need to feel special, the human need to have purpose, then surely a far more beatific vision would emerge.

A similar complaint is also often lodged against reason, albeit on a broader and more abstract level.  "Reason", they say, "can not give you emotional fulfillment."  Much the same implications are at work here.  Just as the scientist, in his studies and his experiments and his observations, is confronted with data, we are all in our personal lives confronted with a variety of information.  The person making the above complaint seems to imply that emotional fulfillment is to be found somewhere in this information, but reason is just too cold and too calculated to see it.  They seem to declare that only by processing this information in light of what gives us comfort, what makes us feel good, can we find emotional fulfillment.

The mistake in all of this, I believe, is the assumption that meaning and fulfillment are something out there beyond us, or that they are a tone and a texture with which we need to shade our perceptions.  It is the assumption that science needs to gaze among the stars with the human variable in mind in order to find meaning.  It is the assumption that we need to consider facts in the light of what we want them to be in order to find fulfillment.  It's a failure to understand that we need to consider the facts in the light of what they are, if we are to have any hope of actually pursuing our dreams.  It's a failure to understand that our emotions can have an honest relationship with the world; it doesn't have to be one build on lies.

As for meaning, I wholly concede that science can not provide it.  But I don't believe that religion or philosophy can either.  I believe that the meaning of life can only be found in the experience of living it.  It is a thing in motion.  Beautiful.  No formula can express it.  No creed can contain it.  No theory could ever do it justice.  It is the dancer's brief hour on the stage.  I stand by science and reason not because they give my life meaning, but because they give me what I need to live, and then they let me go.  They give me the freedom and the means to explore and discover and even create that meaning on my own through the sheer exuberance of living.            

14 comments:

  1. I corrected two typos:
    it’s own to its own
    who’s love to whose love

    I find nothing to disagree with here. However I have not directly come across the mindset you refute. You impute opinions or passionately-held stances to “they”.

    For all I know you are knocking down a straw man. I can only trust you that you know what you are doing, and consider it worth doing.

    For my part, I could not imagine that the person you are refuting would be reading our book, nor that he would be convinced by anything we say. So I don't see him as a worthy target, or one that I could help tackle.

    I don’t deny that such theology as you refer to exists in this country as well as yours, but it does not show its face, has no power in the land, ministers only to its own flock.

    So I’m at a crossroads here. I need to take a timely break to consider where we stand. It’s timely because I had a setback. I was well advanced on Thursday afternoon (11th August) in drafting a new post about Reality. But it got lost and my hours of attempting to undelete the .tmp file which held its content were ultimately fruitless.
    It had flowed so gracefully from my fingers! What I had written was too intricate to be able to rewrite in the same form. I would have to start again, and I’m wondering if it’s worth that effort. So in the meantime (while I consider my position) I want to ask you about the significance of your final paragraph.

    “As for meaning, I wholly concede that science can not provide it. But I don't believe that religion or philosophy can either.” Fair enough, and I would wholly agree with you, and that we have to find our own meaning in life. But where does this place you, Bryan, in relation to religion and philosophy? Do you distance yourself from them? Would you consider it time wasted to study some aspect of them? Would you, for example, avoid Kierkegaard and all the existentialists who followed him? Would you consider it a waste of your time to read William James’ Varieties of Religious Experience, on the grounds that science + reason + freedom to find your own meaning are enough? And having got your points across, would you be happy to shrug at the kinds of paradox that intrigue me, which Camus labels “the Absurd”? Because if your answer is yes I need not worry about my lost essay, for we are working to different agendas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I definitely don't find philosophy to be a waste of time, and you should know by now how much paradoxes intrigue me...in any form. And I definitely hope you are able to recover your lost post, or at least find the patience to knuckle down and rewrite it. I know how frustrating it can be to lose something like that, and you have my absolute sympathy. Now, getting back to philosophy. For one thing I find it very interesting. The enjoyment and contemplation of it can be part of the experience of life. At least, it's been a big part of mine. And clearly there are valuable things to learn from it about the nature of existence, and the nature of ourselves. But ultimately it's like stereo instructions. They can tell you how to set up the equipment. They can show you how to wire the speakers for the best sound quality. But only life can give you the experience of actually listening to the music. How could anyone ever hope to explain it? I could try to say that the meaning of life is to enjoy it, but this is grossly inadequate, overly simplified, and even a little misleading. We both know that just as much meaning can be found in our sorrows, our pain, our disappointments, and our defeats, as in our victories....sometimes even more so. So then I could say that the meaning of life is in the experience of it, as I do in the post above, but this isn't really an answer. It's just a beginning. It's just a way of pointing at the door and saying, "There's life. Go live it." I think philosophy can be an invaluable companion along our journey through life. It can help us explore our experiences, and help put them into some kind of perspective, but ultimately the meaning comes from the experience itself. Religion, on the other hand, I think tries to encroach about that experience. I think people use it as a substitute for life in varying degrees depending on how much of themselves they invest in it. At least, this is what I believe. I might get into it more in the next chapter. At least, that's the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I admit that there are also people who use science and philosophy as a substitute for life, but religion seems more...predisposed, more designed to be used that way. One of the semantic difficulties I ran into when writing this was the fact that I was ascribing motives and opinions to what are basically abstract concepts. Hopefully, this is something I can fix in the editing process. But I wanted to make the point that there are certain ideas that are inherent in, say, the religious perspective. I didn't want it to sound as if I were talking about certain group of religious people over here, or even all religious people even. I wanted to make the point that the ideas were build into the concepts of religion and science, irrespective of the individuals involved.

    For instance, I say that science is indifferent to meaning. However, I see individual scientists themselves on TV all the time that don't seem to grasp this fact. They say things like, "Finding the Grand Unified Theory of physics will give us the answer to everything.", or Stephen Hawking says, "It will finally allow us to read the mind of God.", and then the music swells. Granted, there's a certain hyperbole in these statements, but there's also far more sincerity in it that there should be. All I can say is, "No, it won't." It may give us all the answers to physics, but clearly there's more to life than physics. You can only hope these people understand that. The Theory of Relativity obviously provided a great degree of meaning to Einstein's life because of the significant role it played in it, and I'm sure it played a significant role in many other lives, but obviously the Theory of Relativity doesn't provide the meaning of life in general, nor would Grand Unification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reassured by your comment(s) (in stereo!) I felt my previous comment might have been a bit harsh, but I read your post when I woke in the middle of the night & couldn't get back to sleep. I nearly apologised for it this morning.

    I just got back from one of my wayfaring expeditions and reflected that I'm interested in philosophy these days for one reason only: to compare notes, explore how almost every idea I have is reflected in someone else's. But I'll expand that in a post on my main blog.

    I definitely don't think of philosophy as instructions. But I do think of theology as a branch of philosophy.

    As for religion (being a member of a congregation) I don't have current experience of it, but have never found it positive.

    And then there is what James calls "religious experience" which needs neither the company of a congregation nor the scaffolding of theology.

    No I can't recover that lost post (I even paid for some undelete software, but it was too late. Two free softwares had proved no good.) But I've moved on from the lost post anyway. From memory it was a bit too flippant for the weighty topic of reality. Example: I defined reality as "the place where pigs can't fly". Not that useful, on reflection.

    Going away for the weekend, so may be a while before my next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment crossed your latest one. But your first comment still appears twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, that was just me fixing a typo.

    I don't really think of philosophy as "instructions" either. Perhaps a poor analogy. I'm not sure what to call it, though. "Food for thought" maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the other hand, "Food for Thought" makes it sound almost frivolous. I picture one of those psychic hotline commercials where they have the fine print at the bottom that says, "For entertainment purposes only." I definitely don't think of philosophy as an "entertainment purposes only" subject or as the whimsical pastime of an unoccupied mind. I think of it as something vitally important, but I also don't think of it as merely the sum of the information contained in the books on the subject. These are works on the study of philosophy, on people's ideas on the subject, but philosophy is something more than that. I think of it like a tree growing in the back of everyone's mind, and this tree shapes how we approach and understand and deal with the world. Some people choose to contemplate this tree, to tend to it and cultivate it. Other people just let it grow wild and don't give it a second thought, but yet their tree is still there and it does have impacts on their lives that they may not be aware.

    For example, take our present endeavor. I have a branch on my tree called "reason." I've chosen to tend to it in a certain way. Other people have tended it in a different way. Still others have chosen not to deal with at all. But the branch is there on all our trees, and it has an impact on all our lives.

    (Now I realize that I'm going to have to do a chapter on this, and reuse some of the ideas here.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In fact, I'm wondering now if I shouldn't remove the "...or philosophy.." from the sentence "But I don't believe that religion or philosophy can either." I still don't believe that the study of philosophy alone can show us the meaning of life, or that any particular philosophical theory could ever hope to express the meaning of life in mere words. However, I think that perhaps philosophy as that "tree" is very significantly connected to that exploration of meaning in our own particular, personal lives.

    I'll have to think about this. (So no, don't apologize for your original comment. You definitely got my wheels turning.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got back from a weekend at my sister's. Early this morning I started a new essay for posting here, one which links everything together, and is far better than the one which got lost in my computer as reported above. It started to set out everything as a cascade of coherent ideas, a multiple cascade in fact. It was safe from being lost like the other one as I used a fountain pen in a brand-new notebook. What could possibly go wrong?

    Arriving home I cannot find the notebook or the pens. They must be at my sister's house, 100 miles away. She says she cannot find them.

    Never mind about the analogy of lost keys or swallowed debit card. This is the best jinx example yet. I know the book & two fountain pens are at my sister's house somewhere & am confident she will send them in the post.

    Meanwhile, am debating whether to start the essay a third time, meanwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're having some serious bad luck with this. It's almost starting to verge on a "puzzle" isn't it?

    I know that I am a certainly not projecting any "negative energy" from across the pond here, and am in fact anxiously awaiting this next chapter in whatever form it takes, especially since the suspense has been built up.

    So no, I do not have a voodoo doll made in your likeness, and I do not keep putting tiny bundles of paper in its hands and then lighting them on fire. In case you're wondering ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've reached a bit of an impasse here myself, actually. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I'm on the wrong track. I stand by the bulk of what I've said here. It's not that I'm rethinking my position. It's just that I'm not sure I'm taking the right approach. I'm reading back over what I've written here and I can't hardly imagine anyone finding it anything other that bewildering, which is not a good way to proceed, especially with something that is essentially a persuasive piece. Perhaps that's the problem though, treating this as a persuasive piece, an argument against a hypothetical opponent that really hasn't been clearly defined. If the reader doesn't recognize the view-point that I'm arguing against, then the point becomes lost in confusion and it ends up, as you point out above, seeming as though I'm railing against some straw man that I've simply hypothesized to vent my intellectual aggressions towards.

    I mean, I have encountered the attitudes and views that I'm talking about, but I'm not sure I've clearly established them or characterized them correctly. I think I got off on the wrong foot, first of all, with this business about reality being an illusion. That may be part of the basis of rejecting reason for some people, but I don't think it's really the essential, defining issue. I think the "reason vs. emotion" conflict some people see and that I touch on here is probably closer to the heart of the matter.

    Originally, I was planning the next post to be about how religion can act as a substitute for living. Then I realized that that might be too much of a digression. I realized that I needed to keep this on point, and also that I wanted to keep it positive. I wanted this to be more s case for what I stood for, rather than I a diatribe about what I disagree with. With that in mind, the next chapter was going to be on the issue of "honesty" which I briefly touched on in this chapter, and which we discussed somewhat in the comments below the last. I figured that if I made the case for my position, then the reader who might find themselves convinced by it, could make up their own mind about the opposing views...and religion and such, ect, ect.

    Now, however, I'm thinking I've taken too negative an approach in general, too adversarial. Perhaps I need to return to the drawing board, give all this some serious thought, consider my position, how to structure my ideas, begin with a foundation and build up instead of chipping away haphazardly at a wall that the reader might possibly not even comprehend the nature of. Perhaps, I need to approach the whole thing in a more positive light. I'm not looking to lay out a whole system of philosophy here, but rather an idea about how to approach philosophy, the truth, reality, life, ect. I'm not even sure "reason" is the essential place to begin, but perhaps part of a larger whole.

    I don't want to delete the posts I've made thus far. I think there's some good stuff here, certainly invaluable stuff in the comments that would be lost if I did. However, I do need to take some time to think about a fresh approach. Be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m delighted in a way by your impasse, or rather what you say about it, because I think there is something at work here, a kind of unconscious convergence. But first my news. My sister has found the book with all my notes for the new piece and will surely be posting it to me today. Knowing it is on the way will encourage me to keep working on the thing (what I can remember of its structure).

    Beyond that, I had a remarkable dream. Were I the author of an Encyclopedia of Counted Sheep, I would work it up into an intriguing narrative, but that would be to waste its message and my time. Its message was personal, or for our relationship. It was in fact about working in a team, symbolized by a group of us on a minibus, six or seven, and another one-to-one encounter I had elsewhere, in which my initial impressions changed rapidly and I learned about the other person very closely in a very natural way. It was an exciting dream about discovering potential: my own, the other team members’ and the project’s.

    Now taking your “impasse” comment alongside with the above, I see an emerging pattern. Till now you and I have envisaged an adversarial debate (as in the US & British courts & parliaments), where the role of our writing has been in some way to persuade the members of the jury (our readership) to adopt one or all our viewpoints.

    There is an alternative court system called “inquisitorial” where the judge who calls witnesses and actively tries to determine the truth, rather than rely upon the eloquence & cleverness of the advocates on both sides.

    The teamwork in my dream was more like an improvising jazz band in spirit, echoing and improving on one another, developing themes, pointing our flaws. The person speaking would drawing on his conscious and unconscious knowledge & wisdom. The person listening (reading!) would apply a sympathetically critical approach and try to act on behalf of the whole world, just as a jury acts for the entire justice system of its country. But above all to be true to ourselves and unburdened, I mean not to see this as too serious, but allowing the unconscious to do the work (as our dreams do); and have fun in the process

    I think we had both reached the point where we saw that our debate on reason didn’t have much further to go. We both recognize its great value to our species, the vastness of its achievements in our world. We both feel uneasy, though in different ways and degrees, about religion, & hard-line fundamentalism of any kind, in the way it tries to erode and weaken reason, whose virtues are to be a genuinely solid hard currency; arguably the only one we have.

    But yes, it all starts out extremely arguable, and so tempts us to argue, as if it were a linear problem, like who owns a piece of territory, where do you draw the boundary. You know, like liberal values versus conservative values and all those other mutually exclusive ideas that get fought over in different ways.

    The thing I started to sketch in that left-behind notebook yesterday didn’t come from a dream but something as good as---which makes me feel extra-good about working with a dream-worker such as yourself! It had this structure where I realized that a good start point is reality. And the way to understand reality (i.e. what we mean by it) is to examine unreality, and to realize that unreality permeates most of our conscious existence. Unreality is good, just as the unknown value x is good (essential) in algebra.

    Then we can see that most conflict is the result of clashing unrealities. If we can open the reader’s eyes to this then we can---ideally---help defuse conflicts so that they stay non-explosive, as tolerant disagreements.

    That’s a way that philosophy (ours) would make a difference to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You raise good points, and I DO think we share more common ground than we would have thought at the start of this. You're absolutely right about religion "making us nervous." That's a nice way of putting it.

    And approaching the issue of reality by dealing with our capacity to deviate from it is an interesting approach. In my Sartre series (the next installment of which I'll be posting today.) a similar idea presents itself. Sartre showed how "nothingness" comes about only through human consciousness. On its own, existence is a completely filled with being. Only through us can anything be missing. Only we can create and perceive the voids, all at once, through "the question." Our free will depends, in part, on our ability to stand apart from being, to question it, not just philosophically, but in every hour of the day.

    I'm not sure how we proceed from here, but as before, I'll follow your lead. I'll see what's contained in your missing notebook. That may shed some light on things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never got round to reading Being and Nothingness but will look forward greatly to hearing about it through you.

    ReplyDelete